|Here is a line that you won't understand, I'm half of the boy but i'm twice the man
||[Dec. 2nd, 2008|09:20 am]
|||||John Mayer - Good Love Is On The Way||]|
Carry the weight of the world in the palm of my hand, Who did you think I was
Well it's that time of year again, the end, my thoughts on the year in music. After slaughtering some of my favourite artists last year in my end of year music blog, I was hoping I could get away with being a bit nicer this year, but we will see how that turns out as I progress.
Top 10 albums for 2008
1. R.E.M. - Accelerate - A very enjoyable album, way too short, but they are back in fine form.
2. Portishead - Third - Many reviewers and fans hate this album, I personally think that the departure from their old stuff has given them a new life, and the new sound is working for them.
3. John Mayer - Where The Light Is.. (Live DVD/CD) - Anyone who can do an acoustic set, a jazz trio set, and then get out there and do a full band set deserves praise. Especially when the sets are amazing, especially the guitar work in the jazz set.
4. The Living End - White Noise - This album is one that seems to mesh well, unlike many of their other recent offerings. This album feels very right, with some great songs, and a polished sound.
5. Eagles of Death Metal - Heart On - Sexy, just sexy.
6. Joshua Radin - Simple Times - Great acoustic artist who has had his music played on many shows, such as scrubs. His songwriting skills really show through on this album.
7. Coldplay - Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends - An interesting piece, there are however a few low points on the album, not their best.
8. Wanderlust - Gavin Rossdale - This album slipped by many people, and that is a shame.
9. Nine Inch Nails - Ghosts I - IV - A great instrumental set, some of the songs are not as good as others, but there are some great compositions in this cd set.
10. Foxboro Hot Tubs - Stop Drop and Roll!!! - A funky album from the guys in Green Day working as a side project.
Top 10 disappointments \ low points for 2008
1. Isaac Hayes passing on. RIP Chef.
2. The Mars Volta - The Bedlam in Goliath - Have been getting worse since their amazing debut, this album for me felt like a low point.
3. Death Cab for Cutie - Narrow Stairs - No matter how many times I tried to get into this album, I felt like it was keeping me at arms length. Didn't do it for me.
4. Ben Folds - Sorry mate, but you need to go back and write some real music, Way to Normal is terrible.
5. Weezer - Flogging a dead horse I know, but their new stuff is awful.
6. Snow Patrol - I have tried to get into the new album, but it feels like a stinker for me. Final Straw may be the peak of their talent.
7. Metallica not giving up on music, that is a huge low point.
8. Finding out Coldplay tickets are $140, and that most festivals are that sort of money. $50 big gigs are so far behind us. I remember paying about $45 to see Powderfinger / Something for Kate at the Entertaintment Centre back in the day.
9. Not being in the U.S.A. to see the Ben Folds Five reunion show.
10. The disbanding of The Departure